Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring Break on the Slopes


Instead of heading somewhere sunny for spring break, we decided to take advantage of some great spring snow and found our way to McCall, Idaho. We were amazed at the amount of snow they had - easily 6 or 7 feet of the white stuff, and this was in town. We spent our nights at a condo in McCall and spent a day at a fairly new resort there called Tamarack and loved the mountain.

With three boarders and two on ski's, it promised to be a good time, but we did hit a few bumps through the day, and I'm not speaking of moguls: Our family trip ended up with one shy - Zack met some girls from Rigby and decided that time with them would be way more fun than time with family. Cassidy accidentally locked the keys in the truck and we had to enlist the help of the local sheriff to get us out of a jam. And, I had a little pouty moment (yes, I'm nearly 38 years old - not 2, but I still managed to have one!) when I was struggling to keep up with the other ski bums.

Even with these "bumps" - I will look back and be able to find fond memories of the weekend: Spying a fox sitting just outside the back door of our condo. Sitting alongside Rick at the pool, watching the kids play and reading a good book. Witnessing the amazement of kid's who had never seen or been on a high-speed quad lift. Being able to enjoy the incredible beauty of this glorious earth we live on.

I think that each time we embark on a new trip, getaway, adventure, vacation, or whatever you want to call it with our kids, we seem to have grand illusions of how perfect it will all be and how appreciative they will be of our efforts to expose them to some of the amazing things in life. Somehow, it never ends up to be as perfect as we pictured. But, as with the rest of life, we sort the bad from the good and try hard to learn and make the next time better...

...And then look forward to time away JUST FOR TWO!

2 comments:

Mardie said...

It looks beautiful there. And, yes, I understand the desire to have our kids even just appreciate the time and effort put into something like that. I guess they will show their apprecition when they become parents themselves... At least, that's what I hope!

Jodi Gutierrez said...

I like the end... Looking forward to time away for two. I wish we were going with you in April!!! Have fun!