Tonight, I get to have dinner prepared by my son, the scout. Ty is going on a campout tonight and the mom's have been invited to a special dinner. As part of this, I was asked to write a letter to him. In doing so, I realized that this is a piece of advice that I might give to each of my kids in one form or another. Perhaps, my thoughts are because of the point in life that I am at and feeling that it continues to speed by faster than I ever want it to. There is also the fact that I wish I would have followed this advice more through the years. So, in a way, this letter could be to each of them in the hopes that they will do better than me...
Hey Bud-
I’ve been thinking about this letter all week and what I wanted to say to you and came to the conclusion that if I made it all sappy and lovey, you would just roll your eyes and probably not read it anyway. So, I’ll do my best to keep it light - and short (because I’m sure you’ll appreciate that also.)
I’ve been thinking that this could be a small moment when I might lend a bit of advice and if it is, what would I most want to leave with you?? It is this:
Enjoy the Moment!! Life goes by way too fast. In so many ways, it seems that I just started my journey on this earth - and in reality, I did. I was born yesterday at 6:52 am. By nine o'clock, I was playing with my dolls on the nap of the burnt orange carpet in Grandma and Grandpa's living room. By five o'clock in the afternoon - that very same day - I was off to college. I remember Grandma and Grandpa's long faces looking at me as I drove off into the big world on my own in my white Chevy Cavalier. They were sad to have had such a short time with me. They were worried what might become of me. Fortunately, I found your Dad at 5:32 pm and was married within minutes! I went to sleep, and waited for something more to happen that would make me happy.
I woke up this morning to find out I was now 39 years old, in a house, with three nearly grown kids. And, I wonder, where did the time go?? And sadly, I’m realizing, by dinner time, you guys will be the ones feeding and taking care of me. So there you go.
Life is so short! In no time at all, it will be me with my sad face watching you drive away into the world and wondering where it all went. So, I say to you, “Enjoy the Moment!!” Find something about each and every day that is wonderful. Enjoy the little things. I love the way that you laugh out loud – don’t ever change that about yourself! Never be afraid to laugh! Don’t change the real you to blend in with the crowd – even the “Band Geek” you – the real you is wonderful!! Always make time for the important things: Friends, Family and your Heavenly Father. They will give you reasons to smile every day. And lastly, don’t go to sleep waiting for something to make you happy – go after it!! Life is full of precious little seconds – take advantage of every one of them!
I am so lucky that I get to spend so many of these seconds with you and doing things I love with you and our family – for that is what truly makes me happy.
I hope you will always spend as much time as you can doing the things you love that make you happy. I hope you spend all your days awake and enjoying the moments!!
I am so proud of the young man that you are!! I love you to the moon and back a bazillion times!!
No comments:
Post a Comment