August 2012 was definitely a month of huge events that I don't want to soon forget. The first of those happened on August 16th as we put our beautiful, grown-up daughter on a plane and sent her thousands of miles away to a foreign country. Cassidy was selected to serve as an ambassador for Rotary International and for the United States as she will study for 10 months as a foreign exchange student in Itabuna, Brasil. It was incredibly difficult for me to send her away, but I know that it is also one of the best things for her. She will have incredible opportunities for learning and growth, and besides, what an adventure for a 19 year old girl!! One that will be memorable for the rest of her life. So, once again, I'm learning that sometimes love means letting go when all you really want to do is hold on tighter!
And then, since we sent one off, I think it's only fair that we should get one home!! Zack returned from serving in the Iowa Des Moines Mission on August 24th!! It's got to be one of the sweetest moments of life when you see one of your children, whom you haven't seen for a very long time, walk through a set of doors with their arms outstretched ready to swallow you in a giant embrace!! That's a hug that I won't soon forget!
Zack's missionary journey was a little different than most and we'd had the opportunity to greet him at that same airport once before back in October of 2010 when he returned from Brazil pretty unexpectedly. How proud I am of him for choosing to return to finish serving his mission and what a sweet tender mercy it was for him to be able to finish serving in the same mission his Dad served in 25 years previously. Because of the circumstances of his previous return, one that was pretty private and a little somber, this time we made sure to give him a very memorable welcome home! We were in the middle of hosting the first annual Hyde Family Reunion at our home, so not only did he have his dad and mom and brother (who was holding a picture of Cass on a stick), but he also had both sets of grandparents and 20 other bodies in the form of aunts, uncles, and cousins who greeted him with homemade posters and a mighty cheer!! Memorable indeed!!
I've kicked myself a hundred times or so since that I didn't somehow get a recording of his homecoming talk in Sacrament Meeting. I can truly say that it was one of the best I've ever heard - and since I've heard others say that about his talk as well, I can say it without being too prideful, right?? ;) It was truly a "Parent Payday" moment! To hear one of your children share such strong testimony is priceless!! And to have so many of our family and friends there to share that moment with us was a huge bonus!



No comments:
Post a Comment