Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Mother's Worry

What is it that makes us, as Mother's, worry so about our children? It's a continual thing - never a break, and for some odd reason, only seems to increase with the number of candles on their cake.

Of course we worry when they're little. Is that the sniffles or something more? Don't run too fast, you might fall. You can't play with Joey, he has the chicken pox. Don't stand in the shopping cart. Hold my hand while we cross the street. Don't ride with strangers. Stay where I can see you. Don't climb on that, you'll get hurt. Don't play with matches. Wash your hands. Don't forget to say your prayers. And on, and on, and on... We work continually to keep them safe.

But, they grow up. They want their independence. They want to spread their wings and fly. And, hard as it is, we watch as they make their own choices and hope with all our might that the consequences will only sting a little bit - just enough to learn the lesson and do better the next time.

Please, wear your seat belt. Are you on the phone with her again? Remember, home before midnight. You haven't done your homework yet? You really shouldn't be going steady with a boy at your age. And why is it that you think you need to do a back flip on your snowboard? Show them some respect. How many minutes are you over on your phone bill this time? Is that friend going to be a good influence on you? Did you get signed up to take the ACT test yet? Who will you be doubling with? Please drive safe. Learn to set some limits. Don't forget to check in. Just say no. Did you wear your seat belt? Don't forget to say your prayers. And on, and on, and on... We still try to keep them safe, but now they think they are old enough to handle that one on their own. What's a mom to do?

The worry lines in my face are not there by accident. I worry that I've taught them what they need to know. I worry that they are safe. I worry whether or not they have good friends. I worry that the choices they are making are the right ones. And, I worry whether or not they will figure it out someday for themselves that their Mother worried and nagged and begged and pleaded and worried some more only because she loved them dearly.

2 comments:

T said...

This is so true. Thankfully, I haven't gotten to the big stuff yet (I'm not sure I am ready for it yet). I think it would be so good for you to write down some of the examples that you are talking about specifically and write how you felt and what you worry about. Even if you don't post them, keep them somewhere and one day let who they were written about read them and see how much love you have. No other way to express it. Love you!! Glad to see you using your blog.

Mardie said...

Hooray! I'm in the Excell Blog Club! :)

Needless to say, I'll just take the worry level one day at a time. Like Tresa, I'm not to any of the big stuff yet and I already feel scared about the things that I hope I am teaching my children... Is it good enough? But we just keep trudging, right?